Joe's Rambles

Monday, September 17, 2007

Weight loss

So for the past 10 or so years I have struggled with my weight. When I was in high school it wasn't to hard to take the weight off. I played football and was in pretty good shape.

But then I got married. Well, it isn't her fault (even though she is a great cook). Although it IS easier to blame her! ;) But, about 10 years ago my weight started going up, up, and away! I'm not sure why. I didn't pig out. But I didn't eat very healthy either. And of course...pizza rolls, jalapeno poppers, and beer late at night aren't good for the ole waist line either.

At one point my weight got up to 330 lbs. Even though I am on the tall side (6'2) and carry my weight well...there just is no way of carrying 330 pounds well, unless you're 8 feet tall. Needless to say, I was a fat ass. Yeah. I was. My ass...the thing I sit on...was fat. It was huge. No, it was freakin' huge.

So, I did the Atkins thing for about 7 months. I dropped down to about 260. Much better. But, after awhile you just get tired of the Atkins food and all the damn grease. I've always had low cholesterol and wanted to keep it that way. And plus, Dr. Atkins died and had heart disease...so I dropped the Atkins diet (much the same way Justin dropped Britney).

Well, after a few years my weight started to go up again. About a month ago I stepped on the scales and it said "Get off!" No, actually it read 294. Not good. So I decided to make a change.

There is a doctor's office not far from my house that is a bariatrics clinic; a doctor that specializes in obese people. They had a pretty good reputation in the community and I decided to give them a try. The results are great!

After only four weeks on their plan I have gone from 294 to 267. That is a 28 pound weight loss in only four weeks. That is an average of seven pounds a week. Oh yeah...I'm happy...and I'm still losing weight!

Even better, my health is improving. My blood pressure when I started was 150/90. Not good. They said it would go down quick with this plan. And it has. As of today my BP is now 110/80. Wow. Much better.

Also, I have dropped a couple of shirt sizes. Four weeks ago I was wearing sizes 2XL and 3XL (or as I called them...my tarps). Now, I am wearing a size XL. Also, I have dropped two pants sizes. Four weeks ago I was wearing a size 42. Today, I am in a size 38. They fit pretty good. A little snug, but not uncomfortable at all (and they will get looser (much looser) in the weeks ahead!). I have not been able to fit into a size 38 in almost 10 years. Damn it felt good buttoning those things! My goal was to be able to fit into a size 38 again. After four weeks I am already there! Look out size 36...I'm headed your way!

My goal weight is 220. For me that is a very good weight. That is what I weighed in high school (also the weight I was when cheerleaders were hitting on me!). Once I drop that weight I plan on taking up weight lifting again. I used to lift religiously and had lot of muscle mass and definition once upon a time. I want to get there again.

To show how much weight I have lost thus far, I put together a slideshow (below) of pics when I was 294 and pics I took just an hour ago. I think you will be able to see the difference (in one pic I am almost bald. Funny story there involving my kids, myself, and the clippers. I'll have to share it sometime). I was really happy to see how I look now compared to how I looked then. What's even more exciting for me is that I know in another 4 weeks I will be even slimmer and look even better! I can't wait. Although I do miss my Chinese food. Damn...now I want some Pon-Pon Chicken!
posted by Joe at 11:42 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home