Joe's Rambles

Monday, October 1, 2007

Halloween Beer Review

The folks over at X-Entertainment.com gave me a great idea. Soooooo....introducing...

My 2007 Halloween Countdown! (Cue wild applause.) I will be reviewing various Halloween themed items that I find here and there (translation: whatever crap I can find in the bargain basket at the local Dollar Tree).

The first installment is something I found in the beer section of my local Wal-Mart. It's pumpkin flavored beer. Freakin'...Pumpkin...Flavored...Beer. Say it three or four times. It still doesn't sound right does it? But, how could I pass up buying freakin' pumpkin flavored beer?! I couldn't. The power of the hops compelled me.



This Halloween six-pack of fun is brought to you by the fine folks at Blue Moon Brewing. Now, I've had a couple of different brands by Blue Moon (their Summer Honey and Belgian White brands). I liked them. They were good. They were 5.6% alcohol. So I had a very good time with Blue Moon!

As I was looking at the different brands of beer, the Blue Moon Pumpkin jumped out at me. I mean how could it not? It's a freakin' bright orange color that smacks you across the face and yells "Drink me bitch!". I've learned to never argue with beer that can kick my ass. Or looks at me with a bright orange hue. So I bought it. And on the way home I wondered "What hath God wrought?". What would pumpkin beer taste like? Now, I love pumpkin pie...I love pumpkin spices...but would I love pumpkin beer? We would find out.



And there it is. Looking at me. Menacingly. Daring me to crack'er open and discover her pumpkin flavored secrets buried deep inside. Dare I? Oh yeah...I dare.

Actually, I loved the packaging. I admit it. I am a total geek for Halloween. I love it. And it's not just for the free candy (my waist and hips have never forgiven me for my love of Halloween). I just loved the whole Halloween/Fall theme. I remember having dress-up day at school, seeing all of the Halloween decorations out...and also believing, be it ever so slightly, that an evil witch would swoop down and take me back to her liar and cook me. And then serve me a'la carte to the wolfman, Frankenstein, and whatever other goblins happen to show up.

So this packaging really caught me eye. It spoke to me. It touched my soul (but not in that weird Michael Jackson kinda touching). It had such a Halloween/Fall feel to it that I had to buy it. But now, here comes the real test. How does it taste?



It had a nice color. It's a little lighter here that it looked in real life. It did sorta look like a pumpkin...I guess. OK, it really didn't. But it did look Halloweenish/Fallish. And it looked stout. So that is good. And it had a nice smell. Pretty pleasent.

It had a pretty good taste. It tasted a bit like Guinness Draught...with a touch of pumpkin spice. Overall I liked it. I'll give it a 8.5 out of 10. So, if you see this around your area...and wanna try pumpkin flavored beer...pick it up. It's worth the money you'll spend on it. Plus, you'll feel like a Halloween Fool. And after 4 or 5 of these, you might be a dancing Halloween Fool. And who doesn't want that?
posted by Joe at 9:40 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home